Then I got to the "pick a plan" screen.
You people—by which I mean, people who buy smartphones—you people, you are insane.
Words cannot express how stupid any of these ideas is:
- paying $20/month for unlimited texts OR
- paying $0.20/text
- paying $80/month for 450 minutes of airtime OR
- paying $250/month for unlimited airtime OR
- paying $2/MB. That's per MEGAbyte. Mega, not giga. I could FedEx you floppies for less money. WHAT DECADE IS THIS?
In other words, a usable plan costs between $100 and $270 PER MONTH, and you commit to two years of this at a time. And if you ever go outside the US, well, we won't talk about international roaming, because no matter which plan you pick, it will be cheaper to just BUY A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PHONE TO USE WHILE YOU'RE ON VACATION.
What. The. Fuck?
Millions of people look at the same screen I looked at and don't hesitate. I have a really hard time fathoming their motivation. Things you could get for a year of Droid:
- a nice kayak
- a sweet road bike
- a respectable gaming laptop
- a prosumer DSLR with a couple of good lenses
- a beater of a car
- a quite serviceable used motorcycle
- a month in Europe
- 3 ounces of really good weed (or so I hear)
- a hell of a night out
Is being able to browse the web without having to step into a coffee shop really worth more than your favorite one of the above, per year?