4 couples = 4 Trivial Pursuit teams = 0 finishers and 4 divorces
but nobody seems to have broken up tonight. I attribute this to:
* Mulled wine. I buy 3-buck Chuck Shiraz by the case as general-purpose wine (table/cooking/whatever). The last case was astringent to the point of being undrinkable with anything short of a stinging quantity of garlic. Mixed as follows, it was nevertheless damn good:
- in a Teflon-coated frying pan, warm two bottles of plonk
- in a glass jar in an asparagus-steamer pot (as improvised double-boiler), bring to a boil 750ml water,
- containing a cloth teabag, containing
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- a goodly amount of nutmeg (1 tbsp? worst-case with too much nutmeg, it gets you high)
- 2 tsp clove powder
- 10 or so cardamom pods
- 20 or so black peppercorns
- ungodly amount of wildflower honey that's 3 years old and has mostly crystallized; 3/4 cup?
then put them together in big 'ol mugs and drink.
* potato-leek soup:
- stick of butter
- the eating parts of 2 leeks
- 5 lbs of potatoes, sliced
- 2 onions
- like 5 cups of water (enough to cover the solids)
- 3 veggie bullion cubes
- copious thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- cup heavy cream
with the above, do what comes naturally. When mashable, mash somewhat.
Secret pesto/garlic/green-chili/soy-chorizo pasta recipe not to be disclosed. (Damn! Well, at least they don't know about the olive oil. Damn!)
Pleased to have y'all.